- Class Start Date: October 2, 2022
- Class End Date: October 29, 2022
- Virtual Meeting Days: Tuesday, October 4, October 11, October 18, October 25
- Start Time: 1:00 PM Eastern Time
- End Time: 4:00 PM Eastern Time
Course Title: Analysis and Improvement of Manufacturing System Throughput
This course provides a systematic understanding of the concept and analysis methods of manufacturing system throughput productivity. This course provides guidelines on how to recognize the status of a manufacturing system, identify its bottlenecks to throughput, and use appropriate means to improve production throughput. The knowledge and methodology learned from this course can apply to volume production and repetitive/batch process systems.
This course is specifically designed for industry practitioners by providing a comprehensive understanding and knowledge of today's manufacturing productivity improvement.
Who Should Attend?
- Manufacturing engineers, supervisors, and managers.
- Engineering, quality, continuous improvement practitioners, and management involved in manufacturing operations and production control.
- Engineering professionals and managers of new manufacturing system and process development.
There are no prerequisites for this course. One-year experience on a production floor is recommended.
After successfully completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad and solid understanding of system throughput
- Analyze the throughput bottlenecks of manufacturing systems
- Understand the effects of buffer systems on manufacturing throughput
- Adopt quality and maintenance management methods for throughput
- Apply appropriate methods for throughput improvement
Course Materials and Required Software Applications
All required course materials, exercises, discussions, and quizzes are available in the online course shell. The course materials are based on the instructor’s hands-on industry practice and research work. If you work in the auto industry, you may refer to Automotive Vehicle Assembly Processes and Operations Management, ISBN: 978-0-7680-8338-5, https://www.sae.org/publications/books/content/r-456/). The analysis part of this learning can be done by using MS Excel. No special software is needed.
Course Delivery Format
- Week 1 - Throughput Performance and OEE
- Week 2 - Bottleneck and Buffer
- Week 3 - Quality and Maintenance for Throughput
- Week 4 - Improvement Process
Participants will have access to (asynchronous) online material in Canvas, which will be released each week prior to the scheduled lecture.
Weekly lectures and discussions (synchronous) will be held in Zoom and can be accessed directly from the Canvas course. For the synchronous sessions, participants must attend all Zoom sessions and complete most required course assignments in order to receive an electronic certificate of completion and CEUs. Participants will need to attend the course from either their home or office using a computer or laptop equipped with a webcam and microphone. To participate, you’ll need a stable Internet connection and minimum technical requirements. Chrome, Firefox and Safari are preferred browsers for Canvas.
Instructor: Herman Tang, Ph.D. MBA. email@example.com
Office Hours: Appointment by emails
- 2.2 CEUs
- Contact hours: 22 hours (12 hours virtual lecture / discussion, 10 hours online, self-paced activities).
- In addition to a certificate of training completion, participants will be issued a digital badge identifying the skills and competencies gained through successful completion.
Registered participants will receive a welcome email with their user ID and password on or prior to the start date of the on-line class. Students will need to keep their video on throughout the live Zoom sessions to confirm attendance and participation in the course.