The primary objective of this course is to familiarize the personnel involved with paints and coatings about fundamental principles underlying formulations of paints and coatings. The knowledge of basic concepts of coatings formulations goes a long way in understanding and appreciating market segments, product differentiations, product attributes and performance, cost, application areas and trouble-shooting. As such, basic understanding of coating raw materials and concepts underlying formulations of coatings, formulation tools, coating calculations, defects and troubleshooting will be presented. Effects of key formulation parameters on product attributes and cost will be discussed.
Who should attend?
This course is designed to provide a thorough fundamental understanding and working knowledge of coating formulations to general personnel in the industry. It is highly recommended for marketing, technical sales, paint users, quality control staff, customer support staff, field representatives, manufacturing personnel, entry-level chemists in technical/research area and all others who need a broad knowledge of this dynamic complex area of coating industry.
What you will learn
- The basic role of paint ingredients, their effects on coating performance.
- Paint Types -industrial, automotive, architectural - how they differ.
- Fundamentals of coating formulations.
- Volume relationships-PVC and CPVC concepts.
- Paint calculations.
- Rheology in coatings
- Understanding formulation parameters, optimization, and their effect on performance/cost.
- Cost reduction strategies, strategies for "green" coatings
- Principles of pigment dispersion, dispersion equipment, Mill-base formulation techniques
- Paint defects - causes, resolution.